One of the well-known facts about having braces on your teeth is that braces can limit what foods you’re allowed to eat. Knowing which foods are safe and which ones are not can help you take care of your braces. Your dentist in Hilliard, OH can tell you more about how to take care of your braces and what food to avoid. Here’s what you need to know.
Why Some Foods Are Off Limit With Braces
Braces are made of metal brackets attached to the teeth, connected by wires. Some foods can damage braces, either by bending them or pulling the brackets off the tooth enamel. Some foods are also very difficult to clean out of the brackets and wires once they become stuck to the braces. These foods are best avoided.
Which Foods Are Safe? Which Foods Are Not?
Generally speaking, most foods are safe when you have braces. However, there are some categories of foods that you should stay away from.
- Hard foods like hard candies, nuts and ice
- Sticky foods like chewing gum and caramel
- Chewy foods like bagels
- Foods that you bite into like apples and corn on the cob
What Else Should I Know About Taking Care of My Braces?
Taking care of your braces in Hilliard, OH is a lot like taking care of your natural teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice daily.
- Floss once each day. Flossing with braces is different from flossing without braces. Have your dentist show you how this is done before you leave with braces on your teeth for the first time.
- Use mouthwash once per day.
- Check out your teeth every time you brush. It’s easy for food to get stuck in your braces, and you might think you’ve removed all the food particles when you really haven’t. Check your teeth in the mirror after brushing to see if anything still needs to be removed or cleaned out.
Do you have more questions about braces care? Call Fishinger Dental serving Hilliard and Upper Arlington, OH. We can help you take care of your teeth and braces.