Does your child have an overbite? Do you think that your child’s teeth are crooked or misaligned? This could mean that they need braces. While many people get braces when they’re in their teen years, early treatment can make treatment easier, less time-consuming and less costly. Bringing your child to the dentist in Hilliard near Upper Arlington, OH, from an early age can help you determine whether your child needs braces and, if so, what to do about it.
Why Seek Early Treatment With Braces?
As children age, their orthodontic problems can get more complicated and more difficult to solve. Early treatment with braces can catch problems in their early stages, before they become worse. Often this helps make treatment quick and relatively inexpensive.
Signs Your Child Could Benefit from Braces
There are many signs that your child could benefit from braces. Here’s what to watch for:
- Your child has problems with chewing or biting. Chewing and biting becomes more difficult when the teeth are misaligned. Getting braces is one way to fix this problem.
- Your child accidentally bites the inside of their mouth a lot. If your child’s teeth are misaligned, they may accidentally bite the inside of their mouth a lot. This can cause sores and a lot of pain. Braces can help realign the teeth to stop this from happening.
- Your child’s teeth have gaps or are crowded together. Braces help bring teeth into alignment, whether it’s properly spacing them apart or bringing them closer together.
- Your child sucked their thumb or other fingers. Thumb sucking and finger sucking can cause the teeth to become misaligned.
- You’ve noticed that your child’s jaw makes noises. If your child’s jaw clicks loudly when they chew, this could be happening because of jaw and tooth misalignment.
When to Bring Your Child For Their First Orthodontic Appointment
Most children can benefit from having their first orthodontic appointment when they’re just seven or eight years old. Your child may not need braces in Hilliard near Upper Arlington, OH just yet, but your child’s dentist at Fishinger Dental near Upper Arlington can help. Call today to learn more.